As adopted by the Board of the Hepburn Library of Madrid, February 9, 2023.
The purpose of the Trustee Education Policy is to comply with New York State Education Law Section 260-D which requires members of library boards of trustees, beginning January 1, 2023, to complete a minimum of two hours of trustee education annually from a provider approved by the Commissioner of Education that addresses the financial oversight, accountability, fiduciary responsibilities and the general powers and duties of library trustees.
Each member of the Library Board must demonstrate compliance with this policy by filing evidence with the Board President annually.
Each year Trustees are required to complete two hours of continuing education during their term on the System Board.
According to Section 260-D, each Trustee shall demonstrate compliance with the requirements by filing with the President of the Board of Trustees evidence of completion of Trustee Education from an approved provider. Such evidence shall include one of the following:
- Certificates of completion issued by one or more approved providers; or
- A signed self-assurance of completion (included at the end of this policy).
- Such assurance shall identify the approved trustee education providers, a description of the format and content of the completed instruction activities, the date and time such member began and completed each instruction activity and an explanation of why a certificate of completion was not available from such approved providers.
Evidence of completion shall be submitted to the Board President by December 31 of each year.
Should a Trustee fail to submit evidence of completion by the above date, the Trustee will be suspended from duty until evidence of completion is filed. Should a Trustee in suspension fail to provide evidence of completion within 90 days, they will be assumed to have resigned from the board.
Compliance will be tracked through the Library’s Annual Report to the State.
At the state level, trustee education providers and activities (topics and formats) are approved by the New York State Library acting on behalf of the Commissioner of Education.
In addition to pre-approving public library systems as trustee education providers, the State Library has delegated authority to public library systems to approve additional trustee education providers and activities (topics and formats) for their member libraries.
- New York State Library/Division of Library Development
- Public Library Systems
- New York Library Association (including the Library Trustees Section and other Sections/Roundtables)
- Reference and Research Library Resources Councils
- Empire State Library Network (formerly New York 3Rs Association)
- PULISDO (Public Library System Directors Organization)
- ALA (American Library Association) including United for Libraries and other Divisions
Trustee education may be delivered online or in person. The format of this education may include any of the following:
- Online courses
- State or national library association conferences
Costs of Continuing Education
Modest and reasonable costs incurred by a Trustee in complying with the trustee education requirements may be reimbursed by the Library in accordance with the Conference and Travel Policy. All continuing education requesting reimbursement must be pre-approved by the Library Board.
SELF-ASSURANCE of Trustee Education Activity Completion
Beginning January 1, 2023, each library trustee, elected or appointed, of a board of trustees is required to complete a minimum of two hours of trustee education annually. (Education Law 260-d as added by Chapter 468 of the Laws of 2021)
Please use this self-assurance form if a certificate of completion is not available from the approved education activity provider. Please submit this form to the library board president for review and signature. Trustees should retain a copy of the signed form.
I give the following assurance:
I attended the following trustee education activity:
Title of Activity:
Format (e.g. workshop, webinar, online course):
Date of Activity:
- Anti-Discrimination Policy
- Anti-Harassment Policy
- Circulation and Interlibrary Loans Policy
- Citizen’s Request for Review of Library Materials
- Community Meeting Room Policy
- Conflict of Interest Policy – Officers, Board Members and Employees
- Cost of Services Policy
- Disaster Policy
- Display and Exhibits Policy
- Employee Handbook
- Freedom to Read Statement
- Interlibrary NCLS/Due North Loans Policy
- Internet, WiFi, and Computer Use Policy
- Library Photography and Video Policy
- Links from the Library’s Website
- Materials and Monetary Donations Policy
- Materials Selection/Acquisitions Development Policy
- Operation Policy
- Patron Behavior Policy
- Patron Confidentiality Policy
- Preservation and Conservation of Library Materials Policy
- Programming and Event Policy
- Public Employer Health Emergency Plan for Hepburn Library of Madrid
- Public Notice Bulletin Board Policy
- Public Relations Policy
- Sexual Harassment Policy
- Social Media Policy
- Strategic and Long Range Plan for Hepburn Library of Madrid
- Tobacco Use Policy
- Trustee Education Policy
- Volunteer Policy
- Whistleblower and Ethical Behavior Policy