As adopted and approved by the Hepburn Library Board of Trustees, December 2020.
As of June 19, 2019, New York State enacted measures for public libraries, requiring compliance with New York’s new prohibition on the grounds of public libraries.
Smoking shall not be permitted and no person shall smoke within one hundred feet of the entrances, exits or outdoor areas of any public or association library as defined in subdivision two of section two hundred fifty-three of the education law; provided, however, that the provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to smoking in a residence, or within the real property boundary lines of such residential real property.
(extract: S.169-b Rivera / A.330-B Dinowitz, subdivision 6.)
Required Signage (Public Health Law §1399-p)
- Location. Libraries are required to “prominently post” and “properly maintain” signage where smoking is restricted; meaning, signage should be posted outside of each door of the building, regardless of whether such door serves as a public entrance or exit, located approximately where the 100-foot restricted perimeter begins, or as close to the restricted perimeter as possible.
- Content. The signage must either clearly denote smoking is prohibited, or use the international “no smoking” symbol, which consists of a pictorial representation of a burning cigarette enclosed in a circle with a bar across it. Though not required under Article XIII, it is recommended that such signage also contain language noting the 100-foot restriction. Sample sign language: “New York State law prohibits smoking within 100 feet of public library doorways.”
Penalties. Persons in violation of this law, including library employees, may be subject to a civil penalty up to $2,000.
- Anti-Discrimination Policy
- Anti-Harassment Policy
- Circulation and Interlibrary Loans Policy
- Citizen’s Request for Review of Library Materials
- Community Meeting Room Policy
- Conflict of Interest Policy – Officers, Board Members and Employees
- Cost of Services Policy
- Disaster Policy
- Display and Exhibits Policy
- Employee Handbook
- Freedom to Read Statement
- Interlibrary NCLS/Due North Loans Policy
- Internet, WiFi, and Computer Use Policy
- Library Photography and Video Policy
- Links from the Library’s Website
- Materials and Monetary Donations Policy
- Materials Selection/Acquisitions Development Policy
- Operation Policy
- Patron Behavior Policy
- Patron Confidentiality Policy
- Preservation and Conservation of Library Materials Policy
- Programming and Event Policy
- Public Employer Health Emergency Plan for Hepburn Library of Madrid
- Public Notice Bulletin Board Policy
- Public Relations Policy
- Sexual Harassment Policy
- Social Media Policy
- Strategic and Long Range Plan for Hepburn Library of Madrid
- Tobacco Use Policy
- Trustee Education Policy
- Volunteer Policy
- Whistleblower and Ethical Behavior Policy