As adopted and approved by the Hepburn Library of Madrid Board of Trustees on June 8, 2017. Reviewed and revised December 2020.
Purpose of Policy
Social media is defined as any web application, site, or account created and maintained by the Hepburn Library of Madrid which facilitates an environment for library staff and library users to share opinions and information about library-related subjects or issues. The Hepburn Library of Madrid recognizes and respects differences in opinion. The library makes use of these tools to reach out and be more easily accessible to current and potential library users. Social media allows the library to meet users where they are, and give staff and the public a convenient way to interact and share information, ideas, and opinions on a range of topics related to the library’s mission, collections and services.
The Hepburn Library of Madrid regards online social media in the same way as its other information resources in accordance with its mission of serving the community’s needs for learning, literacy and community connections. As with more traditional resources, the Library does not act in place of, or in the absence of, a parent. The Library is not responsible for enforcing any restrictions which a parent or guardian may place on a minor’s use of this resource.
Users are reminded that ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Use of Library social media is conditional on the user’s agreement to observe this policy. By continuing to use the application, the user indicates agreement to all requirements of this policy. Comments, posts and messages are welcome on the Hepburn Library of Madrid’s social media sites provided they do not contain:
Obscene or racist content;
Personal attacks, insults, bullying, or threatening language;
Potentially libelous statements;
Private, personal information published without consent;
Comments totally unrelated to the content of the forum;
Hyperlinks to material that is not directly related to the discussion;
Commercial promotions or spam;
All social media sites affiliated with the Library will be regularly screened by library employees. All postings which contain any of the above will be immediately removed and the poster barred from posting any subsequent messages to Library social media sites.
By posting content, the user agrees to indemnify the Hepburn Library of Madrid and its officers and employees from and against all liabilities, judgments, damages, and costs (including attorney’s fees) incurred by any of them which arise out of or are related to the posted content. Forums and messaging may not be used for commercial purposes or for organized political activity.
If any user does not agree to these terms, they are not to use the service, as violation of the terms can lead to legal liability. The library reserves the right to deny or remove any comments, tags, and/or images that violate the law, the rights of any third party, or library policies.
- Anti-Discrimination Policy
- Anti-Harassment Policy
- Circulation and Interlibrary Loans Policy
- Citizen’s Request for Review of Library Materials
- Community Meeting Room Policy
- Conflict of Interest Policy – Officers, Board Members and Employees
- Cost of Services Policy
- Disaster Policy
- Display and Exhibits Policy
- Employee Handbook
- Freedom to Read Statement
- Interlibrary NCLS/Due North Loans Policy
- Internet, WiFi, and Computer Use Policy
- Library Photography and Video Policy
- Links from the Library’s Website
- Materials and Monetary Donations Policy
- Materials Selection/Acquisitions Development Policy
- Operation Policy
- Patron Behavior Policy
- Patron Confidentiality Policy
- Preservation and Conservation of Library Materials Policy
- Programming and Event Policy
- Public Employer Health Emergency Plan for Hepburn Library of Madrid
- Public Notice Bulletin Board Policy
- Public Relations Policy
- Sexual Harassment Policy
- Social Media Policy
- Strategic and Long Range Plan for Hepburn Library of Madrid
- Tobacco Use Policy
- Trustee Education Policy
- Volunteer Policy
- Whistleblower and Ethical Behavior Policy