As adopted and approved by the Hepburn Library of Madrid Board of Trustees, June 8, 2017. Reviewed and revised, December 2020.
A “program” is a pre-planned interaction between library staff and the program participants for the purpose of promoting library materials, facilities, or services as well as offering the community an informational, entertaining or cultural experience. Programming includes, but is not limited to such activities as story times, films, and activities on no-school days, summer library program for children, speakers for young adults, and book or author discussion groups for adults.
Ultimate responsibility for programming at the Library rests with the Director, who administers programming under the authority of the Board of Trustees. The Library’s staff use the following criteria in making decisions about program topics, speakers, and accompanying resources:
- Community needs and interests
- Availability of program space
- Treatment of content for intended audience
- Presentation quality
- Presenter background/qualifications in content area
- Relevance to community interests and issues
- Historical or educational significance
- Connection to other community programs, exhibitions or events
- Relation to Library collections, resources, exhibits and programs
In addition, the Library draws upon other community resources in developing programs and actively partners with other community agencies, organizations, educational and cultural institutions, or individuals to develop and present co-sponsored public programs. Professional performers and presenters that reflect specialized or unique expertise may be hired for Library programs; performers and presenters will not be excluded from consideration because of their origin, background, or views, or because of possible controversy. Library staff who present programs do so as part of their regular job and are not hired as outside contractors for programming.
All Library programs are open to the public. A fee may be charged for certain types of Library programs. The Library’s philosophy of open access to information and ideas extends to Library programming, and the library does not knowingly discriminate through its programming. Library sponsorship of a program does not constitute an endorsement of the content of the program or the views expressed by participants, and program topics, speakers and resources are not excluded from programs because of possible controversy.
Registration may be required for planning purposes or when space is limited. Programs may be held on site at any Library agency, or off site. Any sales of products at Library programs must be approved by the Library and benefit the Library. Programs are not used for commercial, religious, or partisan purposes or the solicitation of business.
Hepburn Library of Madrid has established a Patron Behavior Policy to ensure that library facilities are safe, welcoming and provide equitable access to materials and services for all library users.
- Anti-Discrimination Policy
- Anti-Harassment Policy
- Circulation and Interlibrary Loans Policy
- Citizen’s Request for Review of Library Materials
- Community Meeting Room Policy
- Conflict of Interest Policy – Officers, Board Members and Employees
- Cost of Services Policy
- Disaster Policy
- Display and Exhibits Policy
- Employee Handbook
- Freedom to Read Statement
- Interlibrary NCLS/Due North Loans Policy
- Internet, WiFi, and Computer Use Policy
- Library Photography and Video Policy
- Links from the Library’s Website
- Materials and Monetary Donations Policy
- Materials Selection/Acquisitions Development Policy
- Operation Policy
- Patron Behavior Policy
- Patron Confidentiality Policy
- Preservation and Conservation of Library Materials Policy
- Programming and Event Policy
- Public Employer Health Emergency Plan for Hepburn Library of Madrid
- Public Notice Bulletin Board Policy
- Public Relations Policy
- Sexual Harassment Policy
- Social Media Policy
- Strategic and Long Range Plan for Hepburn Library of Madrid
- Tobacco Use Policy
- Volunteer Policy
- Whistleblower and Ethical Behavior Policy