The following are rules and regulations of the Hepburn Library of Madrid, as reviewed and updated by the Library Board of Trustees February, 2021.
- The library will serve all residents within the Town of Madrid, irrespective of religion, race, and social or economic distinction. No person will be denied service based on sexual orientation or identification, or political status.
- Non-residents: The library will serve registered borrowers from other member libraries in the NCLS area.
- Use of the library and its services may be denied for due cause such as failure to return books, destruction of library property, and/or objectionable behavior on library premises, as outlined in the Patron Behavior Policy.
The library’s hours of operation may vary between 20 and 22 hours per week. The Library Director will schedule employees so that the library is adequately staffed. The public will be notified via social media, website, and local news outlets when the library hours change to accommodate seasonal demands, or State mandated scheduling adjustments, due to pandemics or other unusual circumstances.
The following holidays are observed, at which time the library will be closed:
New Year’s Eve Day Memorial Day Veteran’s Day
New Year’s Day Independence Day Thanksgiving Day
Martin Luther King Jr. Day Labor Day Christmas Eve Day
President’s Day Columbus Day Christmas Day
- If one of the above holidays falls on a Sunday, the following Monday will be observed.
- The above schedule is subject to change with prior approval of the Board of Trustees. The Library Director whose religious beliefs require the celebration of religious holidays other than those for which the library is closed may be permitted to use up to two days per year for this purpose without requiring compensatory time.
- The responsibility of closing the library building rests with the Library Director.
- The closing of the library may be required by natural, mechanical, or other emergencies (refer to Disaster Policy).
- In the event of an emergency closing of a full day:
- All scheduled work will be considered to have been worked and will be paid for the hours scheduled.
- Appropriate notice will be made to the public via social media, local news outlets, and website. Laminated notices will be posted on Community Room and Library doors.
Emergency News Outlet Contacts
North Country Now: https://www.northcountrynow.com/cancellations-delays
7 News Fox 28, call newsroom at 315.788.3800 https://www.wwnytv.com/
Q-Country 102.9 https://q1029.com/
North Country Public Radio https://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/
- The library’s telephone is not for public use.
- The Library Director may make emergency calls for an individual.
- The Library Director or member of the Board of Trustees for pertinent library business may make long distance calls.
- Personal phone calls using library equipment are discouraged, but the use of cell phones and other personal communications is deemed a necessary component of daily life. Staff is requested to use all handheld devices judiciously, with sound set to the lowest possible setting.
Library Behavior Policy
- Refer to Patron Behavior Policy.
- Any activity that interferes with the rights of other patrons to use the library, disrupts the normal functioning of the library, could result in physical, emotional, or mental injury to oneself or others, or could result in damage to the facilities, equipment, or materials is considered disruptive and unacceptable behavior.
- The Library Director shall report illegal activities, including threats or intimidation of staff or patrons, to law enforcement officials as soon as possible.
- All instances of inappropriate behavior will be reported to the Board of Trustees at their next meeting or if deemed necessary, before.
- Course of action when behavior policy is violated:
- The Library Director shall ask users to cease inappropriate behavior.
- If the situation is not corrected after the Library Director has confronted the individual or the individual becomes rowdy or belligerent, the Library director may: call a parent/guardian when appropriate, or law enforcement.
Signed: _______________________________________ Date: _______________
Board of Trustees
- Anti-Discrimination Policy
- Circulation and Interlibrary Loans Policy
- Citizen’s Request for Review of Library Materials
- Community Meeting Room Policy
- Cost of Services Policy
- Disaster Policy
- Display and Exhibits Policy
- Freedom to Read Statement
- Interlibrary NCLS/Due North Loans Policy
- Internet, WiFi, and Computer Use Policy
- Links from the Library’s Website
- Materials and Monetary Donations Policy
- Materials Selection/Acquisitions Development Policy
- Operation Policy
- Patron Behavior Policy
- Patron Confidentiality Policy
- Programming and Event Policy
- Public Employer Health Emergency Plan for Hepburn Library of Madrid
- Public Notice Bulletin Board Policy
- Public Relations Policy
- Sexual Harassment Policy
- Social Media Policy
- Strategic and Long Range Plan for Hepburn Library of Madrid
- Tobacco Use Policy
- Volunteer Policy