Hepburn Library of Madrid Board Meeting Minutes October 8, 2020
Jennifer McAvoy, Susan McAvoy, Cathy Gwinn, Emily Huntley, Deborah Chase-Lauther
Call to Order:
Approval of Previous Minutes:
Motion made by Susan McAvoy; seconded by Emily Huntley. Approved.
Workshops and Communications:
Library Compliance was addressed. One hour will be added to Friday’s schedule to bring the library into compliance to be open a minimum of 20 hours per week. Also, NCLS will provide guidance concerning a Community Service Plan; Debra Chase-Lauther will review and keep the Board apprised.
Submitted to Board members via email. Items of note include:
1. Staff will implement some process improvement measures including coding of books for culling one month prior to removal from the system, obtaining permission from publishers prior to livestream reading of books, and reading shelves to ensure correct placement of books.
2. The library will continue to adhere to the Governor’s protocol on mask wearing and will work with patrons who are reticent to comply by offering alternate methods to receive books.
3. Annual Sexual Harassment Training is needed. The Director will contact NCLS to see if there is an online option.
4. Across the Fence: Our Community Partners programming continues with Becky McKellar on quilts for October. Also, the Director will present Halloween fireside readings for 3 days prior to Halloween. November will focus on embracing the upcoming cold, dark season with warmth and delight.
Motion to approve the bills as submitted was made by Susan McAvoy; seconded by Cathy Gwinn. Approved. Our 2021 budget has been submitted. Per the Town Board, there will be no cost of living increases this year.
Friends of the Library Report:
- Grant: Jennifer McAvoy met with NCLS to discuss the changes and updates needed for the 2021 NYS grant. Final grant has been submitted.
- Buildings and Grounds:
- Robla’s Floor Service has completed cleaning/waxing of Community Room flooring.
- Leo Fitzgerald is patching loose/missing concrete to secure steps prior to the winter season.
- Director will set up a mandatory annual inspection on the lift.
- Cootware Masonry performed a cursory inspection of the ceiling discoloration in the Children’s reading room. He will provide an assessment and estimate.
- Inspection of the boiler is on hold until we hear about the grant to replace the unit.
- Summerhaven will come on October 13 to ensure fireplaces are ready for use this winter.
- Accessibility Solutions came to make adjustments to the lift. Motion made by Emily Huntley to have them replace the motor for the lift door on the upstairs floor (it is covered by warranty, but we will have to pay for travel and installation. Seconded by Cathy Gwinn. Approved.
- Technology: New laptop and printer have been ordered.
Cathy Gwinn will contact the town to change the wording on the town sign to reflect that we will continue to offer curbside pickup.
- Pandemic Operation Plan is needed for NYS by April 20, 2021. The Director will draft a plan.
- A political sign was placed on the grounds in front of the library. The Director will remove it.
November 12, 2020