Hepburn Library of Madrid Board Meeting Minutes November 19, 2020
Jennifer McAvoy, Susan McAvoy, Cathy Gwinn, Emily Huntley, Deborah Chase-Lauther
Call to Order:
Approval of Previous Minutes:
Motion made by Emily Huntley; seconded by Susan McAvoy. Approved.
Workshops and Communications:
Library Compliance was addressed. Bylaws are being reviewed and will be signed off by all Board members. Policies will be addressed at next month’s board meeting.
Submitted to Board members via email. Items of note include:
- The fire alarm sounded on Monday, November 16. Simplex has been instructed that Deborah Chase-Lauther is the primary point of contact. An inspection has been set for the alarm system on January 4, 2021. Also, keys for both the upstairs and downstairs doors have been provided to the Fire Department.
- As of November 9, the library is in an emergency status, providing curbside pickups at the front door. The library has ceased in house visits. The Director also purchased 5 layer carbon filtration mask inserts for employees.
- Annual Sexual Harassment Training will be in conjunction with the town. It is on hold until materials can be borrowed.
- Across the Fence: The Director presented “Hygge: Why are the Danes so Happy?” on Wednesday, November 18 at 7:00 PM. Josh Barkley will present Songs of the Season at a date TBD in December.
- Upcoming programs include Christmas Book Tree giveaway in conjunction with a visit to see the quarantined Elf on the Shelf. Reindeers in Here books/animals will also be distributed. If in-person visits are ill-advised due to emergency status, alternative methods will be employed.
Motion to approve the bills as submitted was made by Cathy Gwinn; seconded by Susan McAvoy. Approved. Our Investment Account has a balance of $44,019.11 as of the end of September.
Friends of the Library Report:
- Grant: Per newspaper article, our grant has been approved. No check has been received to date.
- Buildings and Grounds:
- CNY Elevator Inspectors, Syracuse NY, are sending a proposal for bi-annual inspections as required by NYS. One inspection must be in coordination with Accessibility Solutions, the lift installer.
- Cootware Masonry provided an assessment and estimate for a patch to the roof/ceiling for $1600. This repair will be done by the end of November to prevent any further water damage to the area in the Children’s Reading Room.
- Requests for quotes for the new boiler and on demand water heater have been placed on the website, Facebook, and North Country now.
- Accessibility Solutions installed the new motor on the main floor door.
- Technology: New printer has arrived; new laptop is on backorder.
The Director has not received a debit card for purchases; Emily Huntley will check with Community Bank for the status. She will also check with Amy Moulton to see if she has completed the IRS documents this year.
- North Country Prenatal and Perinatal Council has submitted a proposal to partner for children’s programming: they would do readings and provide giveaways on a quarterly basis. Deborah will contact the Agency for particulars.
- Strategic Plan: The Director provided drafts for review for the Strategic and Long Range Plan, 2021-2024 to the Board.
December 10, 2020