Timeline of construction and projects
1917- Library erected.
1917-1975 – Limited documentation/records of work completed at the Library.
1975 – In April, a heavy piece of masonry fell off the front steps, possibly due to water/ice damage.
1976 – Custodian attempted to repair conditions which were causing leaks under the front door. Walls in downstairs front entrance are splitting. Large amount of masonry work was immediately required. Brick wall was bulging and concrete crumbling in many places. Optimistic plans were made to renovate the entire front facade in the spring.
1978 – Tisdel Associates were contacted to discuss repairs/renovations in February. Further water leakage trouble evident at front entrance.
1979 – Repairs to downstairs library entrance planned for the spring. Patrons were to use boiler room entrance, and the use of Community Room was curtailed until construction was completed.
1980 – Front wall of the Community Room in need of repairs, due to dampness from ground on the exterior of the wall. Flooding had occurred in the basement twice after two heavy rains during the summer. Both times water was pumped out by the Fire Department. There was a shuffle board court beside the library and it was suggested that the area be turned into a larger parking area. Church Street was scheduled for repair/renovation under a bond issue per Jim McCall. The Highway Department will extend curbing to the end of the street and leave opening in front of the library. Shuffle board area to become part of parking lot. Parking lot is not black topped, but rather it was given a hot mix topping. There was a water problem in the men’s downstairs’ restroom which would be corrected by removing the old coal bin and cement partition and filling the area with soil/grass.
1981 – Temporary repairs were made to leaking water pipes in kitchen; permanent repairs were to be made in the spring.
1982 – Plaster was coming off the inside front wall of the Community Room. Suggestions were made to replace with insulated wall board and for surface drainage to move water away from the building.
1986 – The front steps were moved and downstairs front doors were removed for a reconfiguration of the main entrance.
1989 – Repair of floor tiles in Community Room.
1991- Community Room door replaced.
1993 – Sidewalks installed.
1995 – Grant work included ADA-compliant lift, some demolition and excavation of the Community Room.
1997 – Upstairs fire escape added to rear of building.
1999 – Community Room door replaced.
2010 – Exterior pointing work done on pediments of building.
2014 & 2015 – Roof replaced
2015 – Gas fireplace inserts installed in the fireplaces and air-conditioning added to main floor of library and Community Room.
2017 – Grant work included interior rehabilitation, new flooring, paint and shelving.
2018 – Grant work included the installation of a new ADA-compliant lift.
2021 – Grant work included the installation of a new boiler for the heating system and an energy efficient hot water on demand heater.